This spring peplums made a significant come back and are now enjoying their moment. This at first sight weird silhouette that we saw flooding the runways this spring has become the hottest and most wearable trend of SS2012. And what’s more – it is here to stay, for at least a couple more seasons, the fall 2012 runway images below are to prove that. So if you have been debating if a peplum top will make a worthy addition to your wardrobe, the answer is a definite “yes”. Before you hit the stores though, read on to find out which peplum top to choose to flatter you body type and how to create stylish ensembles featuring this fashionable item.
Before we proceed to talking about how to wear peplum tops, let’s first make sure we all know what we are discussing here. So, peplum is a short overskirt or a ruffle attached around the waistline. It was first introduced by Dior in 1947.
Then this shape was forgotten for a couple of decades and now we are witnessing the return of this structured and feminine detail.
What body types would a peplum top benefit the most?
Peplums are here to celebrate femininity accentuating utterly womanly shape of an hourglass. Peplums are believed to be flattering to any body type if worn right. Both straight and curvy lines can benefit from wearing peplums by letting them either create the illusion of shape, balance out the proportions, or enhance the curves that are already there.
Speaking in the terminology of my post on Somatype where I gave an overview of 3 major body types – ectomoprh, mesomoprh and endomorph, I would say that peplums can be easily incorporated into the wadrobe of a mesomorph and an ectomorph, while already voluptuous shapes of an endomoprh definitely do not need extra bulk and exaggeration.
So if you are an ecto- or mesomorph, i.e. someone who is not very full-bodied with soft curves, large bust or chest, these tips will help you pick the right peplum.
- if you have a little tummy peplums that sit just above the waist at the narrowest part of your torso will perfectly hide any hint that it exists
- if your body shape is straight with a barely defined waist make sure the peplum detail on your top sits right where the waist is, creating this much wanted contrast between your hips and waistline. In case of the narrow shoulders look for the designs with padded shoulders or puffed sleeves to add to the ideal shoulder-waist-hips proportion
- if you are heavier at the bottom and believe that you shouldn’t touch any peplum with a 10-feet pole, you are wrong! The peplum can still flatter your figure by drawing in the waist and building an hour-glass shape, just go for the sharply structured items with a nipped-in waist
- for those of you with short torsos, tops with peplums that flare out from lower on the body will do the trick of elongating the line
- if your torso is longer than your legs, then opt for the designs with the ruffle positioned just above the natural waist line to mend the proportion and making the lower part of your body appear visually longer. This trick also work for shorter girls
As you see, there is a variety of different peplums, each of them serving a different purpose, it’s just a matter of finding the one right for you.How to wear a peplum top?The most elegant way to wear a peplum top is to pair it up with a pencil skit. Midi length will create the most classy ensemble. Don’t forget a narrow belt
Another elegant option is to pair your top up with a pair of narrow tailored pants. This will work especially good if your top has some texture, like lace for example
For a more casual look combine your peplum with a pair of skinny jeans
For a very relaxed feeling, try mixing a casual fabric peplum top with mini shorts. Mind the shoes have to be very casual like sandals or simple flats
What NOT to wear a peplum top with? Peplum top pairings no-no’sIt’s usually not a good idea to pair a peplum top with:
- jeans of any cut except for skinny
- harem pants
- pants and skirt with pleats and gathers at the waist
- cargo shorts and pants
- high-low skirts
Do you already have a peplum in your wardrobe? What do you wear it with? Or maybe you are still hesitating and unsure which one will look good on you, then ask me for help and I’ll gladly give you a hand.